Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Standards to Run For the Team

I will continue to update this article once a week until Jesus Garcia makes the UCLA team, so keep coming back to see the development process.  

Last month one of my ex-athlete from high school called, to tell me he still has a deep passion for running.  I told Jesus Garcia to email the UCLA Cross Country/Track & Field coach and to introduce yourself and tell the coach you are interested in training and competing for UCLA and if it's possible of walking-on to be on the team.  Three days later, I received an email from Jesus in regards of walking-on and he asked me of any suggestions on what he could do next?

Before I give my opinion I want to mention Coach Forest Braden, congratulated Jesus on his acceptance to UCLA, and emailed the standards to run for the team.  Coach Braden also wrote,
“As a freshman you will have to prove that you can run times that is good enough to get onto the team.  This will consist of training on your own and entering races on your own this winter and spring.  I would consider you for a walk-on spot if you can run the following standards off of your own training:

1500-3:55 
3000-8:45 
5000-15:15 
10,000-32:00

This will not be easy but if you really want it, you will make it happen”.

My Best,
Coach Braden


Coach George Payan's recommendations: 

Aerobic Period
The week starts on Sunday and terminates on Saturday.  Start out the first week with your prescribed volume which is 50% of the volume anticipated during your full volume weeks.  Each week progress
until you are at 100% full volume.

The training mode during the months will be called Aerobic 1.  This merely indicates that your training intensity will be at a heart rate between 150-160 beats per minute.  Please, no more.  A slow solid base for three months is of vital importance.  I don’t care if you get your volume in 1-a-day or 2-a-day workouts.  Your school at UCLA will probably dictate this.  The only thing that I would ask you to do is have a long run once a week, preferably Sunday, after you have worked up to maximum volume.  This will be the format you will use.

Minimum Total Mileage:  Preparation Phase

At the moment we are focusing on easy running pace.  That's 1:36 - 1:40, 400m per lap pace.

First week:  28 miles;
Second week:  35 miles;
Third week:  42 miles;
Until you reach 100% volume miles per week, inserting rest.

Day 1 and 2 - Rest; Day 3 - run for 30 minutes; Day 4 and 5 - Rest

Resume training for 31 days.

Train easy, run 8 plus miles a day. It's important to come back slowly.

Total miles per week  60 miles;
   
Long Run 15 miles.  

We are gradually picking-up the pace for two days per week.  A 1:30, 400 m per lap pace.

Week 1
5 x 1600's in 6:00 with 100 m jog rest.   

18-20 x 400 in 84 w/ 50 m jog rest, cool down.
   
60 plus miles (worked up to maximum volume 60 miles per week).
   
Week 26 x 1000's in 3:45 with 100 m jog rest.  

18-20 x 400 in 84 w/ 50 m jog rest, cool down.

ADVICE DISCLAIMER

For the record I’m giving you my opinion about the Standards to Run For the Team.  This website/blog is an educational and informational resource for coach/athlete who wants to learn more about improving their performance.  I cannot guarantee the outcome of following the recommendations provided and my statements about the potential outcome are expressions of opinion only.  I make no guarantees about the information and recommendations provided herein.  By continuing to use/read/participate in this website/ blog you acknowledge that I cannot guarantee any particular results, as such outcomes are based on subjective factors that are not within my control. Therefore, following any information or recommendations provided on this website/blog are at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment